0333 370 7777
Mon - Fri 9am - 6.30pm, Sat 9am - 12.30pm
Everything You Need To Know About Courier Insurance  Heading Image

Everything You Need To Know About Courier Insurance

Find out everything you need to know about courier insurance and becoming a self-employed courier driver.
Dark Green Everything You Need To Know About Courier Insurance Icon

Are you considering becoming a courier driver for the first time or starting up your own courier business? By getting the right courier insurance you can start your new venture in the best possible way. 


What level of courier insurance will you need?

Whether you want to have the minimum or maximum level of cover; it’s important to know what the difference is and what this covers you for:

  • Third party only (TPO) – is the minimum cover required by law. This will cover third party liabilities in the event of an accident
  • Third party, fire & theft (TPFT) – is the same as TPO but also for fire and theft of your vehicle
  • Comprehensive – provides the same as TPFT but also covers you and your vehicle

Do you require cover for several vehicles?

Having more than one courier vehicle increases your ability to carry out more than one delivery at any one time. If you have 5 or more vehicles you may require fleet insurance. 

Will you be subcontracting for a network company?

If you’re considering subcontracting for a network courier you’ll need to check with that company what the minimum level of cover required is. 

Will you need cover for the goods you’re transporting?

It’s vital to have confidence in knowing that the goods you’re transporting are protected against loss, damage or theft. There is the option to consider goods in transit cover which can be combined with your courier insurance. 

Will you have people working for you?

Employing people to assist in delivering goods to customers is great way of growing your business. Whether orders need to be delivered at the day, night or the same day it’s vital to have protection against any unexpected incidents. Here is what to consider:

  • Employer’s liability can protect you against potential the cost of compensation claims, in the event of an employee becoming ill or suffering injury as a result of working for you
  • Public liability insurance – covers you for any compensation you may have to pay as a result of your legal liabilities e.g. death or bodily injury to a TP/damage to TP property 

How can Staveley Head help?

If you need any further information or advice please call our dedicated courier insurance team on 0800 970 9980 or get a quote online.

 Facebook Follow IconTwitter Follow IconYouTube Follow IconLinkedIn Follow IconInstagram Follow Icon
Give us a call