0333 370 7777
Mon - Fri 9am - 6.30pm, Sat 9am - 12.30pm
How to insure a 7.5 tonne lorry  Heading Image

How to insure a 7.5 tonne lorry

Would you like to know how to insure a 7.5 tonne lorry? Check out our guide to find out how.
Dark Green How to insure a 7.5 tonne lorry Icon

Are you looking to get a quote for 7.5 tonne lorry insurance for business use? 7.5 tonne lorries come in different forms from commercial purposes for hire and reward to transporting livestock in a horsebox. We understand that it can be a tricky process finding out what you’ll need cover for. To help make this process easier for you we’ve put together this short guide. 


What licences do you require to drive a 7.5 tonne lorry?

You’ll need a category C1 licence which will enable you to drive medium-sized vehicles weighing between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes. 

Which levels of cover are available for 7.5 tonne lorries?

We have a choice of three different levels of cover so you can get the right cover you need.

  • Comprehensive – offering the widest amount of cover, including damage to your own vehicle and cover for a range of causes such as accident, fire and theft and third party liability
  • Third Party, Fire and Theft - will pay out if you cause damage to a vehicle or property, or injure other drivers, passengers or pedestrians. It also protects you from any loss or damage caused by theft or fire
  • Third Party - will pay out if you cause injury to other drivers, passengers and pedestrians or damage to other vehicles or property. It will not cover any damage to your vehicle or any damage caused by fire or theft 

What level of No Claims Bonus (NCB) will your policy start with?

We may be able to mirror your NCB if you (the policyholder) own another vehicle. 

What types of goods can you carry?

We’ll allow the carriage of most goods, but may be unable to allow hazardous goods and there may be other restrictions such as live creatures or theft attractive goods.

However, if you’re transporting low hazard goods, livestock or theft attractive goods, please give us a call as in some cases we might be able to provide you with cover. 

Is there cover for driving a 7.5 tonne lorry in Europe?

We can provide you with cover for driving within the EU. For an additional premium, we can extend the cover for your vehicle to give the same level of cover as within the territorial limits. 

Do you require additional cover for your business?

We offer a range of optional extras just in case you need any additional cover for commercial purposes:

  • Goods in transit – depending on the value of the goods that you’re transporting you may require this additional cover in place for a particular contract or a network you may carry for
  • Employers liability – if you employ any staff then you’ll need employers liability by law to cover the cost of compensation in the event of a member of staff suffers injury or illness as a result of their job
  • Breakdown insurance – including 24/7 national and European coverage
  • Fleet insurance – if you have a minimum of 3 HGV vehicles you could look to get them all covered under one policy with an any driver option available 

How can Staveley Head help you?

If you’re looking to get an insurance quote for your 7.5 tonne lorry please contact our dedicated team on 0800 023 7197. Alternatively, we can provide you with a quote online.

 Facebook Follow IconTwitter Follow IconYouTube Follow IconLinkedIn Follow IconInstagram Follow Icon
Give us a call