Did you know that Bonfire Night is the most likely time of year for home burglaries? That’s right when family and friends are out of their homes distracted by all of the excitement watching fireworks going off. Burglars could be attempting to make the most of the bangs, fizzes and sparkles to try and enter people’s homes.
Don’t let the joy of attending a public firework display turn into a night to remember for all of the wrong reasons. Check out this guide to help you protect your home this Bonfire Night.
Preparation is the key here. If your firework display is due to begin at 18:30, take some time out before you leave to make checks inside and out of your property. Carrying out the following actions could deter a potential burglar:
- Don’t declare on social media when you’ll be out of your home
- Never display a calendar stating when you’re going to be out
- Make sure the fences around your garden are in good condition
- Clear any chairs or ladders from in your garden
- Make sure any hedges/bushes are trimmed so no one can hide behind them
- Engage all locks and bolts on doors
- Close and lock all windows
- Don’t leave your keys or any money on show
- Put your lights on before leaving your home
- Leave a radio playing or your TV on
- Ensure any gates are locked
- Activate your house burglar alarm
HOW CAN YOU INCREASE YOUR SECURITY?
Investing in additional security to protect your home is money well spent. However, the use of technology is not the only way you can increase your homes protection. Check out what else you can do:
- Get a house alarm fitted and have it serviced on an annual basis
- Install CCTV and leave it switched on 24/7
- Have motion activated lights fitted
- Buy a safe to store your most valuable items and have it secured to the floor
- Get to know your neighbours and join a neighbourhood watch scheme
- Consider getting a dog but only if you’ve the time to look after it
HOW ELSE CAN YOU PROTECT YOUR HOME?
Having home insurance cover in place can protect your bricks and mortar and contents in the event of a theft. Without insurance you could be left with the cost of any repairs and the expense of replacing any items taken. Cover includes:
- Protection for valuable items such as engagement rings
- 24/7 UK based claims line
- Optional extras such as legal expenses and emergency cover
THE BENEFITS OF INCREASED SECURITY
We hope that you’ve found this guide useful and that it has given you some ideas on how you can improve your home security. Whether you carry out some or all of the tips we’ve provided, you can benefit from the following:
- Better peace of mind
- You’ll potentially sleep better
- Greater convenience