Staveley Head is a specialist provider of annual public and private hire taxi insurance and private hire cover for Uber drivers. You can get tailored cover for a broad range of vehicles even if you have previous claims or driving convictions.
As one of the UK’s most experienced insurance taxi insurance brokers with over 30 years of industry expertise, we do everything we can to get you the right cover at the best possible price.
Beyond protecting you and your vehicle, we’re here to support you with excellent customer service and a 24-hour UK-based claims team.
Arranging your cover with us is a fast and simple process. Get your taxi insurance quote online today.
WHY CHOOSE STAVELEY HEAD TO INSURE YOUR TAXI?
- We’ve been a leading taxi insurance broker for over 30 years
- We work with some of the UK’s most reputable taxi insurance companies
- You can get tailored taxi car insurance for vehicles up to 15 years old
- It’s quick and easy to get a quote for taxi insurance online
- Our 24-hour, UK-based claims team are here when you need them
- You can add accidental damage cover for vehicles with up to eight seats
- Our flexible cover comes with no mileage restrictions
DO I NEED TAXI INSURANCE?
If you drive any sort of vehicle for other people to hire and pay for transport, you’re legally required to have a taxi licence and a specific taxi insurance policy. This is the case whether you drive for public or private hire. It’s not enough to add business use cover to a standard private car policy either.
But as well as being essential legally, having taxi insurance can be crucial for your peace of mind when behind the wheel. As a cab driver, you could drive long and odd hours in a range of areas and may encounter all sorts of customers and conditions. Specialist taxi insurance will provide reassurance that you’re covered for whatever comes your way.
WHAT LEVELS OF TAXI INSURANCE COVER ARE AVAILABLE?
COMPREHENSIVE TAXI INSURANCE
Our widest level of cover for you and your vehicle. Comprehensive taxi insurance includes accidental damage, fire and theft or attempted theft of your vehicle, as well as third-party liabilities in the event of an accident. This cover also includes damage to your windscreen and accessories of the trade permanently fitted to your vehicle, like communication equipment.
THIRD PARTY, FIRE AND THEFT
Third-party insurance for your taxi covers you for third-party liabilities if you have an accident while driving. We will also cover you for loss or damage to your vehicle that is caused by fire, lightning, explosion, theft or attempted theft and malicious damage. This includes accessories of the trade permanently fitted to your vehicle.
You can also take out our third-party only insurance, which is the minimum level required by law. This won’t cover you for injury or vehicle repairs, however.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PUBLIC AND PRIVATE HIRE TAXI INSURANCE?
As well as the levels of cover discussed above, taxi insurance can also be split into public and private hire insurance.
In short, if you can pick people up on the street or from a taxi rank, you need public hire taxi insurance. If you only accept pre-arranged trips from selected pick-up points, private hire taxi insurance is the right option for you.
Public hire insurance is commonly used by black cabs and purpose-built taxis that collect fares within a licensed jurisdiction. Minicab drivers, Uber drivers and airport transport companies take out private hire insurance.
As of March 2021, over 77% of all licensed vehicles in the UK were used for private hire. Private hire insurance can be cheaper, as the pre-booking element is seen to reduce risk, while public hire taxis also spend more time in busy city centres. But vehicle age and driver experience are still crucial factors that affect the price of both types of cover.
WHAT OPTIONAL EXTRAS SHOULD I CONSIDER?
Because of the unpredictable nature of the job, it can be useful to take out optional extras such as:
Motor legal insurance: Accidents can happen at any time. Protect yourself with up to £100,000 of motor legal cover including recovery of uninsured losses, personal injury cover and a guaranteed replacement vehicle regardless of fault.
Taxi breakdown insurance: We know your vehicle is your livelihood, so we’ll aim to get you back out on the road as quickly as possible. If repairs can’t be made at the roadside, we’ll work to get you to a local garage. Learn more about breakdown insurance.
Excess protection: If you’re required to pay an excess, such as if you’re hit by an uninsured driver or you’re at fault for an accident, you’ll be covered.
Public liability insurance: You interact with dozens of customers every week. Public liability insurance protects you and your business from claims made by passengers if they’re injured or have their property damaged in your taxi. Exclusions apply. Learn more about public liability insurance.
WHAT TYPES OF VEHICLES CAN I COVER?
We provide cover for a wide range of licensed vehicles that carry passengers for hire or reward. This includes:
- Public hire vehicles, including hackney carriage, London taxi or black cab insurance
- Private hire vehicles, including Uber driver, minibus taxi and minicab insurance
Just let us know what kind of taxi insurance quotes you need.
HOW MUCH DOES TAXI INSURANCE COST?
You can insure your taxi with us from as little as £609.28* (plus fees).
All premiums are unique, however, and the cost of taxi insurance can vary depending on lots of factors including:
- The size of your vehicle
- Your age and driving experience
- Whether you have a no claims discount
- Annual mileage
- When you typically drive – for example, at night on a weekend
- The security of your vehicle (both when in use and when stored)
- The level of cover you need and any optional extras
Get a taxi insurance quote and find out how much you could potentially save.
WHY IS TAXI DRIVER INSURANCE MORE EXPENSIVE THAN REGULAR CAR INSURANCE?
Most taxi insurance policies cost more than regular motor insurance deals, and there are a few practical reasons why.
Firstly, taxi vehicles usually spend more time on the road than regular cars and travel more miles. You might be hired to transport passengers during peak traffic and adverse weather conditions. And because you deal with members of the public, you’ll need protection against a wider variety of situations than normal drivers. All these elements increase the statistical risk of accidents – and therefore lead to more insurance claims and higher premiums.
Finally, many taxis are larger than conventional cars to help fit in more passengers and fall into a costlier vehicle insurance group as a result.
HOW TO GET CHEAP TAXI INSURANCE
There are many ways you can reduce how much it costs to insure your taxi. Whether you’re looking for cheap public or private hire insurance, read our tips to help drive down your premium:
CHOOSE THE RIGHT VEHICLE
If you’re buying a new vehicle to use as a taxi, you could aim to choose one that falls into a low insurance group. There are 50 groups in total and vehicles in higher groups cost more to insure.
A vehicle’s grouping is judged by the Group Rating Panel, which is administered by Thatcham Research and features various members of the British insurance industry. They look at factors including size, reliability, the cost of replacement parts, safety features and value. You can check a vehicle’s insurance group by using an online tool.
You’ll need to balance this grouping against factors like fuel consumption and the kind of service you want to provide too. You might invest in a luxury vehicle to transport executive customers, for example – just be prepared to pay more for taxi insurance as a result.
Avoiding driving convictions in abiding by the rules of the road, such as speed limits, can help to keep any driver’s insurance premium down. And as a professional taxi driver, having points on your licence will quickly increase your costs.
Some insurers refuse to cover drivers with minor offences, as they’re seen to pose a higher risk of getting into accidents on the road. But if you’ve committed any motoring offences in the last five years or have outstanding convictions, we can still help you get the cover you need.
BUILD UP A NO CLAIMS DISCOUNT
Following on from the tip above, driving safely and building up a claim-free record and no claims discount will contribute towards lowering your taxi insurance costs.
The more years you go without making an insurance claim, the better. A five-year no claims discount is worth more than a one-year claim-free record, for example – and you could pay extra to protect this discount. Doing so could allow you to make a claim when you need to without wiping out your hard-earned record.
OTHER TIPS FOR CHEAP TAXI INSURANCE
- Choosing a higher voluntary excess can help to lower your premium. Just make sure you select an excess that you can comfortably afford to pay in the event of a claim.
- Security matters for insurance premiums. A hardwired dashcam and CCTV will act as a deterrent to thieves, while parking in a garage or on a driveway overnight is preferable to on-street parking. Having a tracker installed with a panic button in case of emergency could lower your costs further.
- If you can afford to pay your taxi insurance annually rather than monthly, you’re likely to save money on interest.
- Make sure to shop around and compare taxi insurance deals. As specialist taxi insurance brokers, we work with many leading insurers and can do the hard work for you.
- Bear in mind the best taxi insurance for you might not be the cheapest, however. Aim to balance cost with features and customer service for cover that truly meets your needs.
YOUR TAXI HIRE AND REWARD INSURANCE QUESTIONS ANSWERED
We’ve answered some of the most popular questions about taxi insurance below. Don’t see the information you need? Feel free to contact our expert team.
Can I drive other vehicles if I take out comprehensive taxi insurance?
Unfortunately, we can’t offer this due to the circumstances under which taxis are used and because of the considerable difference in vehicle types.
Can I use my taxi for social use as well as private hire?
Your taxi insurance policy will allow social, domestic and pleasure use in addition to hire and reward. However, many local authorities forbid a plated vehicle to be used by an unregistered driver, so it’s always best to check first.
Do you offer short-term policies, like monthly private hire insurance?
Currently, all our taxi insurance policies are for 12-month periods only.
Do I have to pay in full?
No. All our taxi insurance policies are available with a handy monthly instalment option to help you spread the cost if it suits your budget better. Terms and conditions apply.
Within how long do I need to declare any previous claims or convictions?
We need to know about all previous claims within the last five years (whether your fault or not). All motoring offences within the last five years, or those still endorsed on your driving licence, must be disclosed when taking out your taxi insurance policy.
OTHER COVER YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN
We provide tailored cover for all kinds of professional drivers. Other types that might meet your needs include:
- Chauffeur insurance: A range of coverage options specifically for chauffeurs and limousine drivers, along with extra coverage such as chauffeur and private hire breakdown cover.
- Minibus insurance: Coverage available for vehicles with 8-16 passenger seats. Protection for both business and personal use, along with extra options, such as liability insurance.
HOW TO GET A TAXI INSURANCE QUOTE
There’s no need to call around different companies and wait for responses when you could be collecting fares. With Staveley Head, you can compare taxi insurance rates and take out cover in a matter of minutes. All you need to do is tell us key bits of information, such as:
- Details of your vehicle, such as its make and model, current value and where it’s kept when not in use
- Annual mileage (business and private)
- How you use your taxi – including where you’re licensed to operate and how many passengers you can legally carry
- Whether you have security devices, such as CCTV
- Personal details, including your age and whether you have a no claims discount
- The level of cover you need – we’ll be happy to explain your options if you’re unsure
*Terms and Conditions apply. All premiums are subject to underwriting. Premiums quoted were cheapest available throughout 2022.