0333 370 7777
Mon - Fri 9am - 6.30pm, Sat 9am - 12.30pm
Family of four stood outside

Motorhome Insurance

Motorhome insurance specialists covering everything from self builds to American RVs. Discounts available, cover in Europe, get your online quote today!

We Get It

Dark Green Motorhome Insurance Icon

Whether you’re going on a day trip to the beach, taking a long weekend break in the countryside or are enjoying a sunny month touring the South of France, your motorhome gives you the freedom to enjoy life your way.

The freedom to travel does bring its own challenges, though. Which means you’ll want to make sure your pride and joy is protected with the right motorhome insurance so you can get on with having fun.

Why us?
  • We insure DIY conversions.
  • Cover is available for American motorhomes, RVs and left-hand drive models. Up to a maximum gross vehicle weight of 7.5 tonnes.
  • No Claims Discount and Caravan Club member discounts available.
  • Up to 365 days European cover.
  • Motorhome travel insurance is available as an optional extra.
  • Personal effects cover up to the value of £5,000.

A beginners' guide to motorhome insurance

Whether you’re going on a day trip with the family, a long weekend away in the countryside or enjoying a sunny month long holiday touring Spain, owning a motorhome lets you enjoy life at your own pace. Read more

How to make an insurance claim after an accident driving your motorhome

As personal vehicle insurance specialists, we understand that accidents can happen at any time, that’s why it is so important to be prepared and have a good understanding of what to do if you have been involved in an incident in your motorhome. Read more

Everything you need to know about insuring an RV

Owning an American Recreational Vehicle (or ‘RV’) is becoming increasingly popular in the UK, many are embracing the comfort, space and way of life that this type of motorhome has to offer. With this amount of luxury and room, an RV is truly a home away from home. Read more

How to keep your motorhome safe and secure

Chances are you love your motorhome. Most owners do, and that means looking after it properly is extremely important. Luckily, there are several steps you can take to help keep yours safe whilst possibly keeping your motorhome insurance premiums down too. Read more

How to organise travel insurance for a holiday in your motorhome

A motorhome holiday is a time for unwinding and having fun, a chance to get away from the daily grind and go out and explore. Whether you’re planning on travelling in the UK to one of the fantastic campsites this country has to offer, or further afield to Europe, it’s a good idea to have the right level of motorhome travel insurance in place so that you can enjoy your holiday safe in the knowledge that if something were to go wrong, you would be covered. Read more

Everything you need to know about insuring a campervan

Owning a campervan is about more than just the vehicle. It’s a way of life, it’s all about fun and adventure. The freedom that this provides cannot be beaten, just throw your stuff in the back and head off wherever you want, whenever you want, whether that’s a surfing holiday with friends, or a road trip around Europe with the family. Read more

Motorhome storage tips

As any owner will tell you, buying your motorhome is one thing – but storing it safely is another matter altogether. It can be a challenge to find a secure place to keep it, especially if you don’t have the room at home. However, it’s well worth taking the time to find one, as a secure storage facility can make a significant difference to your motorhome insurance premiums. Read more

Everything you need to know about motorhome breakdown 

As a specialist motorhome insurance broker with over 20 years experience, we completely understand how important it is to keep you and your motorhome on the move. After all, no-one wants to be stuck by the side of the road, especially when you’re on holiday abroad. Read more

Your motorhome insurance questions answered

What information do you require from me?
In order to ensure your premium is correct we will require the following documentation as proof:
  • License check code or photocopy of old style license. You can access your check code here
  • Signed mileage declaration – attached to statement of fact
  • We may need to see proof of any no claims bonus
  • If you’re a member of the Caravan Club we need to see proof of this, for example a copy of the membership card.
  • Evidence of any security e.g. Thatcham fitted alarm
  • For DIY self-builds a vehicle inspection report is required

    If documents are not received within 30 days the policy will be cancelled.
How long will it take to receive my documents?
Once we have received any necessary documents from you we will send your certificate.
What types of motorhome insurance do you provide?
Our motorhome cover is similar to your car insurance, and there are two main types available: Third Party, Fire and Theft insurance and Comprehensive Insurance cover.
Do you offer any discounts?
We may be able to offer discounted rates if you have increased security by fitting an approved alarm, immobiliser or tracking device. Being a member of a Motorhome Club, having secure storage and/or fitting a reversing camera can also help reduce your insurance premium. Call us to find out more.
What is the difference between caravan and motorhome insurance?
The key difference between motorhome and caravan insurance is that you do not need caravan insurance. Caravan insurance is optional but is a good idea as you never know when the unexpected may happen. Motorhome insurance is a necessity as it is classed as a vehicle used on the road.
Why do I need motorhome cover?
Vehicles that are used on the road must be insured, protecting both your vehicle and others. A motorhome policy also protects an increased amount of personal belongings compared to the average car policy.
Do you offer temporary motorhome cover?
We don’t currently offer temporary motorhome insurance, but check back in the future. If you already have a policy with us you can add a temporary additional driver for a maximum of 28 days. Restrictions to this are outlined below;
  • Must be aged between 25 and 75 years old
  • Must have held a full UK driving licence for a minimum of 2 years
  • Must be a full UK resident for a minimum of 5 years
  • Make us aware of any claims and convictions before the driver is added to the policy
What do trackers and immobilisers do and should I have one?
A tracker or immobiliser can provide your motorhome with extra security, which may provide your policy with a discount unless fitment is compulsory due to the value of your vehicle. If an immobiliser is fitted it must fall under Thatcham category 1 or 2 and a Pro-Active GPS system as a minimum for tracking devices. For more information on motorhome security take a look at our motorhome security information page. 
How can I find out what tracker or immobiliser my motorhome is equipped with?
You can speak to the vehicle manufacturer or refer to vehicle handbook if the security is factory fitted. Fitting an immobiliser or tracker after market will mean you will have to supply documents as proof.
What previous accidents and claims do you need to know about?
We will need to be made aware of any accidents or claims within the last 5 years. This includes fault and non fault claims. (Underwriting guide requires claims in 3 years immediately prior to inception).
Does my policy cover me to drive any other vehicle?
No, you will be insured to drive the vehicle outlined on your policy. If you require insurance for any other vehicle please contact us 0333 3707777
Does my policy include any European Cover?
Yes, our policies offer 90 days standard European cover. But this can be increased to unlimited for an additional premium.
Does my policy include breakdown cover?
No, breakdown cover is not included. The good news is that this can be purchased separately. Take a look at our motorhome breakdown insurance.
Can I have an any driver policy?
You can add drivers over the age of 30 to your policy as long as they meet the restrictions set out below;
  • Must be aged between 30 and 75 years old
  • Must have held a full UK driving licence for a minimum of 2 years
  • Must be a full UK resident for a minimum of 5 years
  • Make us aware of any claims and convictions before the driver is added to the policy
Can I commute in my motorhome?
You can commute occasionally, if you have selected ‘including commuting’ as a use. If this option is selected you must have access to another vehicle as the motorhome cannot be used as your main method of transport.
If you are unsure whether your policy includes commuting please contact our motorhome insurance team on 0800 023 7208
I am under 25 can you cover me?
If you are below 25 years old you cannot get motorhome cover from Staveley Head.
Do you cover self-builds and DIY conversions?
Yes, subject to an engineer’s report being completed within 14 days of inception. We insure a variety of motorhomes from compact and classic campervans to huge American RVs. We love the freedom they give you and the fun they give the family.
Do you offer Class 1 Business use?
Yes, as long as the business use is only occasional and the following criteria is met;
  • You must have access to another vehicle and the motorhome is not used as your main mode of transport.
  • Any drivers are aged between 25-75.
  • Driver must hold a full UK licence for a minimum of 2 years.
  • Driver must be a UK resident for a minimum of 5 years.
Light Green Campervan Insurance Icon
VW raising roof

Campervan Insurance

We can provide cheap cover for a variety of campervans like the classic VW and DIY converted campervans. Get your online quote today.

Find out moreGet quote

More Motorhome Insurance options

Dark Green Motorhome Breakdown Insurance Icon

Motorhome Breakdown Insurance

All of our motorhome breakdown insurance policies provide national coverage and first-class service 24/7.

Find Out More

What other motorhome insurance options should I consider?

To give yourself that extra peace of mind, we have a number of optional extra motorhome insurance products, such as legal assistance cover, excess protection and motorhome travel insurance.

Types of motorhome insurance

  • Comprehensive: This covers you for third party, fire and theft, and will also cover your motorhome should it get damaged in an accident.
  • Third party, fire and theft: This cover will pay money to a person who suffers loss or damage caused by you in an accident. It will also pay if your motorhome is stolen or damaged in a fire.
  • Laid-up cover: This will cover your motorhome for accidental damage, fire and theft whilst under Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN) for up to a maximum of 6 months during the policy.

How much does motorhome insurance cost?

Our motorhome insurance is available from as little as £168* (plus fees). Put our rates to the test and see how much you could save.

How to get cheaper motorhome insurance

There are many ways you can reduce the cost of your motorhome insurance. Check out our tips to help drive down your annual premium:

  • Get a discount if you’re a Camping and Caravanning Club member.
  • By keeping your mileage low you could make greater savings.
  • Fitting additional security, like a tracker or Thatcham category 1, can also lower your costs.
  • Having both insured and spouse named on the policy can lower your premiums.
  • A higher voluntary excess can reduce the amount you pay.
  • If it’s your first motorhome policy? We can mirror your No Claims Discount from a private vehicle meaning some significant savings.

Types of motorhomes we insure

With so many fantastic makes and models of motorhomes, it’s important to know what each type is. We’re able to insure you on nearly all classes of motorhome including:

A-class motorhomes – At the luxury end of the market, with large living and sleeping areas. They are ideal for families that want extra comfort.

American-style RV motorhomes - They are typically the biggest of all types of motorhomes and come spacious and well equipped.

Low-profile coach built motorhomes – These offer fantastic accommodation, usually fitted with washrooms that are complete with fitted showers. The newer models tend to come with drop-down beds.

Overcab bed motorhomes – Easily identified by the overcab moulding. They provide extra beds and storage making them popular with families for their practicality.

Large van conversions - Known as ‘panel van’ conversions, they are spacious allowing more room to fit a good-sized washroom and kitchen.

Tag axle motorhome - Can be coachbuilt or ‘A’ class vehicles that are bigger and longer so they are fitted with a third wheel on each side. The benefit of a larger size means inside fittings can be more generous.

Other cover options you may be interested in 

Caravan insurance: We provide specialist caravan insurance policies. Full cover is available in Europe and there’s a discount for enhanced security.

Car insurance: Get your car insurance quote in minutes. There’s optional No Claims Discount protection and multi-car discount for insuring 2 or more cars.

Classic car insurance: You can get quick and simple online classic car insurance quotes. With discounts for limited mileage and optional protection for your no claims discount. 

How to get a motorhome insurance quote

Get your motorhome insurance quote in minutes. Simply enter your information and motorhome details to get started.

Get a motorhome insurance quote

*Terms and Conditions apply. All premiums are subject to underwriting. Premiums quoted were correct at 09.10.18.

Motorhome Insurance
90% Rating Icon
Feefo Logo (426 reviews) 4.5
 Facebook Follow IconTwitter Follow IconYouTube Follow IconLinkedIn Follow IconInstagram Follow Icon
Give us a call