WHAT IS COURIER INSURANCE?
Staveley Head is a specialist provider of single-vehicle and fleet courier van insurance. You can get tailored cover for a broad range of vans and add valuable extras such as goods-in-transit insurance, breakdown cover and more.
As one of the UK’s most experienced courier insurance brokers, we work with a number of leading insurers to get you the right cover at the right price. And if something does go wrong on the road, our 24-hour UK-based claims team are ready to help.
Getting a quote and arranging your cover is quick and easy, too. Get a cheap courier insurance quote today.
WHAT IS COURIER INSURANCE?
You’re legally required to get courier van insurance if you use a van to deliver client goods to multiple drop-off points in return for payment. Policies and extras vary, but having the right level of cover could insure your vehicle for business use, protect it and its contents against damages, and give you peace of mind on the road.
You may see this type of cover referred to as courier ‘hire and reward’ insurance. It’s worth noting that it’s slightly different to haulage insurance, which is designed for drivers of larger goods vehicles who make one or two delivieries over longer journeys.
Whether you need courier business insurance for a fleet of vans or a single vehicle, we can get you the right cover to keep your business moving. Get your quote online today.
WHY CHOOSE US FOR COURIER SERVICE INSURANCE?
- We’ve been a specialist courier insurance broker for over 30 years
- We work with some of the UK’s most reputable courier insurance companies
- Multiple cover types and extras are available, including goods-in-transit insurance
- Get cover for a wide range of vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes
- We cover full- and part-time couriers
- Fleet cover is available for 5+ vehicles
- 24-hour UK-based claims team
- ou can get a tailored quote in as little as five minutes’ time
TYPES OF COURIER VEHICLE INSURANCE
Courier van insurance is effectively a package of policies that can be built around your needs. Start with cover for your vehicle, which includes the same three options available for standard cars, then move on to optional extras.
COMPREHENSIVE COURIER INSURANCE
Our comprehensive courier insurance protects you and your vehicle for loss or damage in the event of an accident. Also included is cover for third-party, fire, theft and windscreen damage. No matter what comes your way, we have you covered.
THIRD PARTY, FIRE AND THEFT
This will cover a third party who suffers loss or damage where you’re legally liable for an accident. Your courier van will also be covered for fire or theft.
THIRD-PARTY COURIER INSURANCE
The minimum cover required by law, third-party courier insurance covers you for damage to other vehicles, drivers and passengers if you get into an accident.
COURIER DELIVERY INSURANCE OPTIONAL EXTRAS
All courier businesses are different, which is why we offer several optional extras tailored to the logistics industry. If you need enhanced goods-in-transit insurance for transporting expensive loads, for example, or simply want to add breakdown insurance, we can help. We also offer black box van insurance, which gives you better protection against claims.
Our range of optional extras includes:
A useful addition for when your logistics business is delivering especially expensive merchandise, providing cover up to £50,000 for your client’s goods. It also includes handheld scanner cover up to £1,000.
Get first-class national breakdown coverage, 24/7. Choose from a range of courier van breakdown cover options to suit your needs including roadside assistance, recovery and EU cover. If something unfortunate happens, we’ll get you back on the road quickly so that you don’t miss that important delivery slot.
Our cover includes public and employer’s liability insurance, which protects you and your employees if you cause or are alleged to have caused injury or property damage to a third party. Employer’s liability insurance also protects you against claims of negligence made against you by employees.
Cover the cost of your excess in the event of a fault or 50/50 claim. This useful policy will protect you against the cost of your insurance excess.
HOW MUCH DOES COURIER INSURANCE COST?
All premiums are unique. Your overall courier insurance cost could be based on several factors including:
- The size of your vehicle
- Your age and driving experience
- Your driving history and any past convictions
- Whether you have a no-claims bonus as a courier
- Your annual mileage
- The security of your vehicle when in use and when stored
- Where and when you typically drive
- The level of cover you need and any optional extras
- Whether you pay annually or monthly
Get a tailored courier van insurance quote for an accurate idea of what your cover will cost.
IS COURIER DRIVER INSURANCE MORE EXPENSIVE THAN STANDARD VAN INSURANCE?
Van insurance for courier drivers is more expensive than standard van insurance as your level of risk is seen to be higher for a few reasons.
- You’re protecting multiple, potentially expensive goods that don’t belong to you
- You’ll spend more time on the road than the average driver
- You could need to make lots of stops in built-up areas
- You may be under pressure to make deliveries to a schedule
But there are a few ways through which you can keep the cost of your premium down…
HOW TO GET CHEAP COURIER INSURANCE
Here are a few different ways to lower the cost of your courier insurance premium:
- Increasing your voluntary excess – the amount that you pay towards a claim – is a simple way of reducing your premium. Just be sure to select an excess that you can afford to pay should you need to.
- Driving carefully and abiding by the rules, such as keeping within the speed limit, can help you to avoid convictions and keep your insurance costs down.
- Building up a full no-claims discount and driving safely can contribute to reducing your premium. The more years you can go without making a claim, the better – and you could pay extra to protect your hard-earned record.
- Paying annually rather than monthly is usually cheaper, as paying monthly usually incurs interest. Monthly car-insurance payments can be more manageable than a larger one-off payment, however.
- Securing your vehicle with deterrents such as CCTV and dashcams, plus parking on a driveway or in a garage overnight instead of on the street, can also be budget-friendly moves.
- Making sure to compare courier insurance quotes will help you avoid overpaying unnecessarily. The cheapest cover isn’t necessarily the best, though – so make sure that you get the features and level of customer service you truly need.
- Getting a new courier insurance quote each year is usually cheaper than letting your cover automatically renew.
- Car-derived van insurance: This is a goods or dual-purpose vehicle that has been changed from a passenger car. Courier car insurance protects vehicles that are typically used for small deliveries.
- 4×4 van insurance: Provides the space of a van but gives you some more grip than your conventional models. 4×4 vans tend to have raised ride heights – which is great for those delivering to rural locations.
- Box van insurance: This vehicle comes in a cube-shaped form with plenty of room in the loading area. It’s a popular model with couriers that deliver larger parcels.
- City van insurance: Design-wise they’re similar to a car-derived van. Delivery and trade companies tend to favour them because the small size is well suited for driving around urban areas.
- Luton van insurance: A similar style to an extended box van, but with an enclosed body and an individual cab.
- Panel van insurance: These are the UK’s most popular vans and are widely used across various trades. The body types come in low-, medium- and high-roof styles.
- Temperature-controlled van insurance: This type of van has a load area that is temperature-controlled. It’s typically used to transport perishable goods such as chilled food. If you’re looking for food courier insurance, we’ve got you covered.
- Your age and occupation
- Whether you’ve been involved in any driving incidents in the past five years, no matter whether a claim was made
- Any driving convictions within the last five years
- Details of your vehicle including its make, model, body type, year of manufacture, value and gross weight (KG)
- Your level of no-claims discount (if you have one)
- The level of cover you need – we can explain your options if you’re unsure
- Fleet insurance: Getting a fleet insurance policy can provide your business with greater flexibility and possibly help to save you money
- Van insurance: We offer cover for single-van insurance by comparing quotes from leading insurers. We can also mirror your no-claims discount.
- HGV insurance: Get cover for HGVs with a gross vehicle weight of between five and 44 tonnes. We can also offer an introductory discount.
TYPES OF COURIER VANS WE INSURE
With so many different courier vans on the market, it helps to have a clear understanding of what you need to insure. Here are some of the different types of cover we offer for vehicles with a maximum of three seats including the driver:
HOW TO GET A COURIER INSURANCE QUOTE
Why waste time calling around different companies when you could be out making deliveries? Compare courier insurance rates in minutes by telling us a few key bits of information:
If you’re insuring multiple drivers for your courier business, we’ll need to know the same details for them, too. Giving us accurate information will help us give you an accurate price for the right level of cover, first time.
YOUR COURIER INSURANCE QUESTIONS ANSWERED
We’ve answered your most popular questions about courier insurance below, but feel free to contact us for more information.
WHY DO I NEED COURIER INSURANCE?
If you transport parcels or items that don’t belong to you in return for payment, courier insurance covers your van for business use. It’s a legal requirement – and standard van insurance doesn’t offer the same protection.
Depending on what optional extras you take out, courier van insurance also gives you peace of mind should something bad happen on the job. Goods in transit insurance covers you for damaged goods for example, while breakdown cover can get you moving again if something goes wrong with your vehicle.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN COURIER INSURANCE AND HAULAGE INSURANCE?
The distinction between a courier and a haulier is that a courier delivers goods to several drop-off points in a relatively small area, while a haulier makes one long journey to deliver goods to one or two places.
CAN I TRANSFER MY CAR NO-CLAIMS DISCOUNT ONTO MY COURIER INSURANCE POLICY?
This point varies across different insurers. On our policy, you can only transfer a courier no-claims discount – but, if you also have a no-claims discount for a second vehicle, we’ll offer you an introductory discount on one additional vehicle.
ARE VEHICLES COVERED ABROAD?
Typically, across the industry, you will have the minimum level of cover required. Our policies give you the minimum level of cover needed to follow the laws on the compulsory insurance of motor vehicles within any EU/EEA country.
I HAVE COMPREHENSIVE COURIER INSURANCE, CAN I DRIVE OTHER VANS?
Generally, you can’t drive other vehicles with courier van insurance. This is also the case with our cover.
CAN I ADD ANOTHER DRIVER TO MY COURIER INSURANCE POLICY?
This is usually allowed as standard across the industry. No matter their age or license type, you can add a driver on our cover as long as they have no unspent criminal convictions.
For more information call us on 0800 970 9980.
DOES MY COURIER INSURANCE POLICY COME WITH PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE?
Usually, this wouldn’t be offered as part of a courier policy as standard. But you’ll get public liability cover up to £2million with our comprehensive courier insurance.
MY PARTNER ISN’T A COURIER; CAN THEY USE MY VAN FOR LEISURE PURPOSES?
Normally your partner can be covered to drive your van for social purposes. On our policy, if your spouse is named on the certificate, they would be covered for social, domestic and pleasure use (SDP), as would all named drivers. They can also use your vehicle for business purposes, providing it’s in connection with your business as the policyholder.
CAN I USE MY VAN FOR LEISURE AS WELL AS WORK?
Generally, your van can be used for social, domestic and pleasure purposes as well as hire and reward. Please be aware that using the vehicle for any other purpose will not be covered.
WHY DO I NEED TO TELL YOU ABOUT CLAIMS THAT OCCURRED ON ANOTHER POLICY?
Almost all courier van insurance companies will ask you to declare any incidents in which you’ve been involved – regardless of whether you or a third party was at fault. We need your complete driving history of up to five years to provide you with an accurate quote.
DO YOU DO SHORT-TERM COURIER INSURANCE?
This type of policy wouldn’t normally last for less than a year. Under our policy, we only offer courier van insurance for a minimum of 12 months.
DO YOU OFFER SPECIAL DISCOUNTS FOR NETWORK DRIVERS?
This can vary across the industry depending on the insurer. However, we may be able to offer you a discount as we work with many networks – so don’t forget to tell us when getting your courier insurance quote.
DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR COURIER INSURANCE IN FULL?
All our courier insurance policies come with annual and monthly instalment payment options. Monthly courier insurance payments allow you to spread the cost in manageable chunks, but annual payments are usually cheaper overall.
COURIER INSURANCE GUIDES
Your courier insurance policy explained
We get that some policy wording may not be immediately familiar or clear, but our guide will give you a better understanding. Read more about your courier insurance policy.
Everything you need to know about courier insurance
Are you considering becoming a courier driver for the first time or starting up your own courier business? Read our guide to getting the right courier insurance.
What does courier insurance cover?
If your business requires you to move goods for customers, it’s essential that you’re legally covered on the road to keep your business moving. Check what you can get covered for. .
Is my business also covered through courier insurance if my vehicle is stolen or damaged?
As a courier, you spend hours on the road delivering your client’s goods. Travelling between drop-off points exposes you to road accidents on a daily basis, and the goods that you’re transporting can also be targeted by thieves. Read our quick guide to damage and theft cover.
How to get an accurate courier van insurance quote
It’s important to get an accurate courier van insurance quote to make sure that you get sufficient cover for your vehicle. To make this process a bit easier, here’s what information we’ll need to give you an accurate quote first time.
Can I get coverage for a courier van fleet under one policy?
Looking after a fleet of courier vans can be a bit of a juggling act. Managing maintenance and paperwork and looking after your drivers can be hard work – but our fleet policy is designed to make your life a little easier. Read about courier van fleet cover.
Everything you need to know about courier business insurance
Running your own courier business can be extremely rewarding, but it’s not without its challenges. Having the correct courier insurance in place can give you peace of mind in knowing that your business is covered in the event of vehicle downtime. Read our guide to courier business insurance.
GET A COURIER INSURANCE QUOTE
Courier jobs come in all shapes and sizes – but, whether you’re looking for parcel delivery insurance, food courier insurance or something else, we can help you get covered.