0800 0815 024
Mon - Fri 9am - 5.30pm
Home  /  Commercial Vehicle  /  Goods in Transit Insurance



Give us a call

Goods in Transit Insurance

Goods in transit insurance offers the necessary protections for professionals who transport objects from one location to another.

For delivery drivers, couriers, and self-employed business owners always on the move, goods in transit will provide the necessary cover for goods and essential equipment while travelling.

At Staveley Head, we partner with leading UK insurers to let you choose the right insurance policy that will work for your business – and keep your goods protected, whatever life throws your way.

Why us?

  • Our team of insurance experts will always be on the phone if you need us.
  • You will be covered to claim per load in case of a claim.
  • Get a quote in merely minutes over the phone and insured immediately.


Each individual is different, but customers who purchase goods-in-transit insurance often require other optional products to ensure they have full cover for their business needs. For example:

Courier Breakdown Cover

We offer a range of roadside assistance covers to keep you on the move.

Excess Protection

This cover protects against the cost of your motor insurance excess, should you need to claim due to an accident. You can select the proper protection for your individual needs with several options.

Public Liability Insurance

Public liability insurance will cover you and your business against claims made by members of the public.

Your Insurance Questions Answered

If you’re considering goods in transit insurance but want to know more, then you’re in the right place. We believe in keeping insurance simple without confusing jargon. Here’s our handy guide to goods in transit insurance and what to expect from this policy:

What is goods in transit insurance?

Goods in transit insurance is a policy that covers items while they are transported from one place to another.

This is not a replacement for any legally required vehicle insurance, such as van or courier insurance. We can offer combined policies such as van or courier insurance with goods in transit policies to ensure you get the appropriate cover for your business.

What does goods in transit insurance cover?

Insuring your work equipment or the parcels you’re delivering is essential, as there is an elevated risk of damaged items on the road. This type of insurance covers property in your vehicle while being transported either for your own use or those of another person or company.

You will be covered in the event of theft, loss, or damage caused by accidents in transit or during loading and unloading.

When choosing goods in transit insurance cover, you need to consider the following:

  • The value of goods carried.
  • If you need overnight cover.
  • Any protection against delayed delivery.
  • Protection in case of stock deterioration.
  • The type of goods you’re carrying and if they are classed as possibly hazardous, such as gases.
  • Overseas haulage commitments that you may have.

Why do I need goods in transit insurance?

As a hard-working professional driver, you need the confidence to know that what you’re transporting is protected against loss, damage or theft. After all, if anything goes wrong, your business, customers, and livelihood are at stake.

What is the difference between goods in transit insurance and courier insurance?

The difference between courier insurance and goods in transit insurance is simple:

  • Insurance for couriers will cover the driver and the vehicle only.
  • Goods in transit insurance will only cover the contents during transportation.

Our goods in transit insurance can be bought on its own or combined with another type of commercial vehicle insurance, such as courier, truck insurance or van insurance.

Are all goods included?

Goods in transit insurance will not usually cover loss or damage to any of the following objects:

  • Theft-attractive goods and money.
  • Bottled spirits.
  • Tobacco products.
  • Fine arts worth over £500.
  • Bullion (physical gold), silver, and precious metals.
  • Some domestic electrical equipment – apart from cookers, refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, washing machines, tumble dryers, and spin dryers.
  • Computer equipment and accessories.
  • Goods which authorities have confiscated.

Of course, depending on your business and the cover available, there may be exceptions where some insurers can cover these goods. If you have special requirements for your cover, refer to your policy documents for full terms and conditions. Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 0815 025 to speak to a team member.

How does goods in transit insurance work?

Goods in transit covers multiple transits within one year. If your business transports goods frequently, your insurance will cover various trips without buying a different policy for each one.

Who is responsible for goods lost or damaged in transit?

The policyholder is responsible for goods lost or damaged in transit. As a result, any employees such as agency drivers or independent contractors covered to drive the vehicle under the courier policy in place, will be classified as under the policyholder’s direction or control.

When are goods deemed to be in transit?

Whilst the goods are in the policyholder’s possession (or their drivers or employees) and whilst they are in the vehicle or being loaded or unloaded from the vehicle.

Can I cover more than one vehicle?

Insurance will be provided for a named vehicle, so you’d need to obtain separate cover for each vehicle you want to protect.

How much is goods in transit insurance?

Find out how much your goods in transit will be by calling us for a quote at 0800 0815 025. for a chat with one of our experts, who will advise you on the right cover for your business. If you’re a bit stretched for time, contact us to request a callback, and one of our experts will give you a ring as soon as possible.

Feefo Service Award

Prefer To Talk

If you’re interested in taking out insurance with us.

0800 0815 024 Mon - Fri 9am - 5.30pm


  • Clear communication
  • Straightforward quotes
  • Amazing customer service
Feefo Service Award
accidentarrow_downarrow-left-thick-whitearrow-left-thickarrow_leftarrow-right-thick-whitearrow-right-thickarrow_rightcarclockcrossfaqslawmileageoptional-insuranceplay reduce-the-costshare social_facebooksocial_googleplussocial_instagramsocial_linkedin_altsocial_linkedinsocial_pinterestlogo-twitter-glyph-32social_youtubeAsset 1teamtelephonetick-altticktypes-of-insurancewhy-us