Important information regarding COVID-19

Due to the unprecedented issues the country is experiencing with coronavirus (COVID-19) and to help curb the spread, all Staveley Head employees have been requested to work from home until further notice.

Our team are standing by to help you; you can contact us by emailing the relevant department on the email addresses below.

For all:

Where service levels are impacted, we are prioritising existing policy holders.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience during this difficult time.

You can help to reduce the impact of this scenario by:

Thank you for your continued support.

Home  /  Commercial Vehicle  /  HGV insurance  /  What are the different options for me if I want HGV insurance?

What are the different options for me if I want HGV insurance?

Give us a call

Looking for HGV insurance can seem like a challenge at times, especially if you’re new to the industry. That is why we have created this useful guide to help you make sense of it all.


The type of goods you are carrying will determine the type of HGV insurance you’ll need. The two types of cover are:

Own goods insurance – this type of insurance is for the carriage of your own business goods only. This usually includes goods belonging to you, or for which you are responsible, relating to your business. An example of someone who might require this insurance could be a scaffolder or a builder.

Haulage insurance – this type of insurance will cover the carriage of goods for hire & reward. You will need this type of insurance if you are delivering other peoples goods for a fee.


The level of cover offered by HGV insurance follows the same principles as that of a car insurance policy. The three types of cover available are Comprehensive, Third Party, Fire and Theft and Third Party Only.

Comprehensive – offers the widest level of cover, including loss or damage to your lorry, third party liability and fire and theft.

Third Party, Fire and Theft – will pay out if you have damaged a third party vehicle or property or injured other drivers, passengers or pedestrians. It will also cover you against any loss or damage caused by fire or theft.

Third Party Only – this is the minimum level of insurance required by law for drivers in the UK covering; liability to third parties for injuries (including injury to passengers) and damage to property. This type of cover will not cover your vehicle or against accidental loss or damage caused by fire or theft.


An operator’s licence (or O licence) is the legal authority required to drive goods vehicles in the UK. You will need an operator’s licence to operate any vehicle with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of over 3.5 tonnes that are used to carry goods on the road.

The operator’s licence must be held by anyone who ‘uses’ the vehicle – whether this is an individual or an organisation.


There are three types of operator’s licence. These are:

Restricted Licence – for those who carry their own goods or materials for their own trade or business – this licence will cover you to drive in the UK.

Standard (National) Licence – for those who carry their own goods or materials in connection with their trade or business and/or carry goods for hire or reward – this licence will cover you to drive in the UK.

Standard (International) Licence – same as a standard (national) licence except this licence allows transport of goods throughout Europe.


Staveley Head is here to help you get the right insurance at the right price. Why not give our dedicated HGV insurance specialists a call on 0800 023 7197 or alternatively get a quote online.

Feefo Service Award

Prefer To Talk

If you’re interested in taking out insurance with us.

0800 023 7197 Mon - Fri 9am - 6.30pm, Sat 9am - 12.30pm


  • Clear communication
  • Straightforward quotes
  • Amazing customer service
Feefo Service Award
accidentarrow_downarrow-left-thick-whitearrow-left-thickarrow_leftarrow-right-thick-whitearrow-right-thickarrow_rightcarclockcrossfaqslawmileageoptional-insuranceplay reduce-the-costshare social_facebooksocial_googleplussocial_instagramsocial_linkedin_altsocial_linkedinsocial_pinterestlogo-twitter-glyph-32social_youtubeAsset 1teamtelephonetick-altticktypes-of-insurancewhy-us