WHAT INSURANCE DO UBER DRIVERS NEED?
In the US, Uber offer insurance for part of the private hire journey but personal insurance must be purchased when driving without passengers. However, this insurance option is not offered in the UK – which has caused a lot of confusion.
Uber do not hold any responsibility when it comes to their UK driver’s insurance. As vehicles are not owned by Uber it is the driver’s responsibility to ensure the correct insurance is in place – this is also proven during the on boarding process. Here in the UK, private hire insurance is suitable for Uber drivers.
WHAT IS UBER?
We’re glad you asked.
Founded in the USA in 2009 Uber is known as a Transportation Network Company – that’s a private hire taxi service to you and me. Their aim is to “improve access to transportation” and they have done this with the creation of an easy to use app!
The Uber app allows users to book a car ride that’s right for them and pay for the journey via card. Meaning cash is not required. Uber also has access to a large number of drivers to provide a quick service.
Their services eventually reached the UK in 2012. Starting out in London the company rapidly grew and now has a presence in over 40 towns and cities across the UK.
WHY CHOOSE PRIVATE HIRE INSURANCE WITH STAVELEY HEAD?
- Specialist Private Hire Insurance for Hire and Reward as well as for social use.
- Public Liability available as an optional extra.
- Experienced and dedicated taxi insurance team.
- 24-hour UK-based claims team.
Get an online quote for private hire insurance for your Uber vehicle today.
WHO CAN BE AN UBER DRIVER?
There’s some minimum requirements you’ll need to driver with Uber this includes:
- Being at least 21 years of age.
- Holding a valid UK driver’s licence.
- You’ll need to have a private hire licence from a council that Uber is licensed by.
- The required number of years driving experience will depend on the city you’re based.
- You’ll need a vehicle that should be at least 2008 or newer.
Successful applicants will attend an onboarding process where they must prove they have the required skills, training and knowledge to drive for Uber.
HOW MUCH WILL INSURANCE FOR UBER DRIVERS COST?
You can find out by getting a quick private hire insurance quote online. Alternatively, you can speak to our dedicated Uber team by calling 0800 023 7213.
WHAT OTHER INSURANCE OPTIONS ARE THERE FOR UBER DRIVERS?
If you require more than just insurance for your Uber vehicle, we offer a range of optional extras to help you get the cover you want including breakdown cover, excess protection and liability insurance.
OTHER COVER YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN
Van insurance: Looking for a better deal on your van insurance? We can give you a quote in minutes.
Chauffeur insurance: Get the chauffeur cover you require, so you can get on with providing your customers with a top-class service.
MORE ABOUT UBER
Our private hire insurance for Uber drivers provides comprehensive and third party, fire and theft cover. Below is a list of the different sizes and types of vehicles that Uber have expanded their services in the UK to offer:
- UberX – A ‘low cost’ travel option accommodating up to 4 passengers.
- UberXL – Virtually the same as UberX but accommodating 6 passengers.
- UberEXEC – The luxury option for 4 passengers, expect to be travelling in vehicles such as Audi A6, BMW 5-Series or Mercedes E-Class.
- UberLUX – You’ll be travelling in style in one of the following vehicles Mercedes-Benz S-Class, Audi A8 or BMW 7-series.