As a van driver, you’re legally obliged to have a van insurance policy in place to insure against the possibility that you may injure or cause damage to another person or their property.
The only time that you’re not required to have van insurance is when you have declared the vehicle as off the road with a Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN). Anyone caught driving without van insurance could face a fine or even a driving ban.
WHAT TYPE OF VAN INSURANCE IS AVAILABLE?
The level of cover that you will require depends on your needs and also how much you are willing to pay.
At Staveley Head, there are two levels of van insurance to choose: Comprehensive and third party, fire and theft.
Comprehensive: This does tend to be the most expensive level of cover as it offers the most protection. However, it will offer protection for third party liability, fire and theft and will also cover your van should it be lost or damaged in an accident.
Third party, fire and theft: Covers your van in the event of it being damaged in a fire or stolen.
This level of insurance will cover you if you’re involved in an accident where you are at fault. You’ll be insured for the damage that you’ve caused to another person’s vehicle or property, or if you’ve injured a third-party or a passenger as a result.
COURIER VAN INSURANCE
If you’re using your vehicle for delivering goods on a ‘hire and reward’ basis you may need to take out courier insurance.
On top of your van insurance, you may require further cover depending on your needs. At Staveley Head we offer a range of optional extras:
- Van breakdown cover: Breakdown cover could be considered as essential cover, especially if you consider the time spent stuck at the roadside.
- Guaranteed van hire: If you’re involved in an accident we’ll arrange a hire vehicle for you while your van is in for repair. We understand that time is money and you don’t want to be left stranded whilst your vehicle is being fixed or waiting for a claim to be settled.
- Goods in transit: As a van driver, carrying a range of items could all be part and parcel of the work that you do. If you want to protect them against loss, damage or theft, then goods in transit insurance can provide you that peace of mind.
- Own tools cover: This protection covers the theft or damage to your tools or equipment. This is potentially another vital level of cover.
- Excess protection: Excess protection insurance safeguards you against the cost of your motor insurance excess, should you make a claim as a result of a fault accident. With a choice of indemnity levels, you can easily select the right protection for your needs.
- Public liability: Public liability insurance will cover you and your business against claims made by members of the public.
HOW MUCH DOES VAN INSURANCE COST?
The cost of a van insurance policy can vary depending on the level of insurance and any optional extras that you require. Other factors that can affect your premium can include:
- Your claims history: If you have any prior claims this could increase the price of your van insurance policy.
- Occupation: Your job will have an impact on your premium.
- Security: Increasing the security of your van could help decrease the price of your insurance.
- Mileage: The amount of mileage that you do each year can also affect your premium. It’s worth taking time to work how many miles you drive each week and work out your average mileage is over the year.
- Use of vehicle: How you use your vehicle can affect the price you pay for insurance, whether it’s the carriage of own goods, haulage, carriage of goods for hire or reward or just social use only.
HOW CAN I GET A QUOTE?
Comparing van quotes can take hours. What you want from your insurance can be completely different to everyone else anyway.
We get this – that is why with Staveley Head you can either get a quote online or call 0800 0815 037 and speak to our experienced team of van insurance specialists who will help you get the cover you want at the price you want – fast.
HOW DO I GO ABOUT MAKING A CLAIM?
Should you need to make a claim our team of professional claims handlers is on hand to assist with any claims you may have. You can get in touch with them by calling 0333 370 9999.