0800 0815 024
Mon - Fri 9am - 5.30pm
Home  /  Commercial Vehicle  /  Van Insurance  /  Brief guide to van insurance

Brief guide to van insurance

Give us a call

So, you’ve just got a new van and you can’t wait to take to the open road but hold that thought – firstly you’ll need van insurance.


The first question you should ask yourself is, ‘what am I using my van for?’ If the answer is ‘work’ then what type of work? Your answers to these questions will help you understand what type of van insurance is right for you.

There are different uses for your van so you need to think about whether you’ll be using your van for work or just pleasure.

If you deliver goods for a living then you may consider courier insurance.

Generally tradesmen such as electricians, plumbers and gas engineers will need to use their van for the carriage of own goods (COG).

Perhaps you need to use your van for day to day use too such as going to the shops, towing your caravan on holiday, picking up the kids. Whatever you do in your spare time that is not work-related is classed as social, domestic & pleasure (SDP). Well, you’re covered for that too! That’s right…

Or if your vehicle has a gross vehicle weight between 5 and 44 tonnes you may want HGV insurance.


This part can be confusing – there’s so much choice! But break it down, think about these questions:

  • How often will I be using my van?
  • What will I be using my van for?
  • What is my van worth?

Once you know the answer to these questions choosing the level of cover becomes a little easier.

Third Party Only – in a nutshell, you’re covered for damage to third party and or their property.

Third Party Fire and Theft – in addition to the above, you are covered if your van is stolen or catches fire.

Comprehensive – covers you for all of the above but you can also claim for damages to own vehicle.


Sometimes you may feel bombarded by all of the optional covers that are available. You don’t need to be, think about what each cover means to you, for example, could you afford to replace all of your tools if something were to happen?

If not then you may choose to take out Goods in Transit including tools cover. You don’t want to put your business on hold because your tools have been damaged or stolen from your van.

Then there’s the joy of your van breaking down. You can hardly predict when this will happen, but with breakdown insurance at least you’ll be well prepared.

In the event someone crashes into you, motor legal cover can help take some of the stress away. It even comes with a replacement vehicle, so you’ll be back on the road in no time.

But what if it’s a fault claim? Guaranteed replacement van will ensure your rare mishap doesn’t keep you without a vehicle.

In the end, we hope you never have to use your insurance and that you enjoy a lifetime of sunny motoring. But you never know what’s around the corner so don’t put it off. Keep yourself safe and secure so you can get on with your work knowing you have the cover you and your business want.

Feefo Service Award

Prefer To Talk

If you’re interested in taking out insurance with us.

0800 0815 037 Mon - Fri 9am - 5.30pm


  • Clear communication
  • Straightforward quotes
  • Amazing customer service
Feefo Service Award
accidentarrow_downarrow-left-thick-whitearrow-left-thickarrow_leftarrow-right-thick-whitearrow-right-thickarrow_rightcarclockcrossfaqslawmileageoptional-insuranceplay reduce-the-costshare social_facebooksocial_googleplussocial_instagramsocial_linkedin_altsocial_linkedinsocial_pinterestlogo-twitter-glyph-32social_youtubeAsset 1teamtelephonetick-altticktypes-of-insurancewhy-us